Thursday, May 22, 2014

Your horse is only as brave as you are

This last semester was rough to say the least so it has been a while since I have written though my time at the ranch has never wavered. My birthday week has been spent pruning trees, filling holes, fixing fences. I took Jasper out on a road ride where he spooked at every single thing he could possible spook at. At one point he spooked at a deer so severely that it looked like a ballet move needless to say I love my silly horse. It doesn’t seem to matter how crazy he acts or how many times I wonder what exactly he was thinking I never worry about my safety around him. We are getting to be pros at opening and closing the gate and we even checked the mail (though he did dent the box with his butt). After his ride we were both soaked and sore so I cooled him off and let him enjoy some much deserved grass time. Yesterday I started working on the stalls making minor adjustments to theoretically make my job easier in the long run by keeping the bedding in the stall it belongs in. I started with the first two stalls as my test stalls to see how it works. Eventually I will be adding shrubs along the back of the stalls to help keep the dirt from washing away and potted lavender plants   by each stall to help keep away flies. Everything is a work in progress, but I look out and see so much potential that I can’t wait for it to become a reality. My biceps ached so much last night that it took effort to wash my own hair and still I can’t wait to do it all over again today.

Jasper hanging out with me



















Woody intent on the horse next door
Jasper and Woody heading down the road

Woody and Shorty hanging out

No comments:

Post a Comment