Monday, March 17, 2014

My babbling capabilities are endless


I do not always have the best track record with trusting myself. It has been something I have struggled with for years, and over Spring Break I second-guessed my judgment again. When I chose Jasper I knew in that first instant that it felt like I had found a missing piece of myself. My family, my friends, and my dog keep me going when I feel empty and meeting Jasper made me feel complete. Over break I worked with him for the first time out of the round pen and met a completely different horse. I could feel his anxiety and the way his body moved beneath me in jerky short motions that did not match his previous gait and just felt off. So many things contributed to that situation including his confusion with the bit less bridle, but it took day before I would contemplate riding him again. I just kept playing it over and over in my head that I wouldn’t be good enough for him or that I wasn’t going to be what he needed. My sister is a far better rider than I am both in balance and ability and it was entirely possible that I had chose her perfect partner instead of mine. I am so cautious that sometimes I worry too much to really let go when I ride and Darah has never let anything get between her and the joy she feels when she rides. The next day was better if only because I spent the day in the sun working out my frustrations on the barn and followed that up with a much needed ride off property that ended in an even more needed laugh when Woody was confused by the cute donkey we rode past. When I finally rode Jasper again Darah was perched happily on Jim and we meandered around the yard. It made me unbelievably happy to be able to ride with her and laugh like that. Jasper did far better with a bit, which leaves me with the enjoyable task of finding tack that suits him. Now I still need to work on trusting him and eventually myself too.

Darah and Leslie riding just ahead of me















Leslie at her happiest

Champ enjoying grass after a nice ride

No comments:

Post a Comment